Webmaster No Comments

A home residence can become a valuable asset in your net worth. But what happens if you decide to move? If your home has appreciated, capital gains tax may be recognized upon the sale.

True or False?

As long as you purchase another home and roll the sales proceeds into the new home, you can defer recognition of the taxable gain.

Answer: False

Previously, you could roll your capital gains into another home to avoid recognition of taxable gain; however, this option is no longer available. Currently, when you meet the qualifications, the federal tax exclusion is limited up to $250,000 (single) or $500,000 (married) on the taxable gain on the sale of a home. This exclusion is available only once every two years. To qualify for the exclusion, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Ownership requirement: You must own the home.
  • Residence requirement: You must have lived in the home as your primary residence for at least 2 of the past 5 years.

If you are married, only one spouse needs to have owned the home to meet the ownership requirement. To meet the residence requirement, however, both spouses must have lived in the home for at least 2 of the past 5 years.

A partial exclusion may be available under specific circumstances, such as a job change (more than 50 miles away), health issues, or additional unforeseen situations. In addition, certain exceptions apply—for example, if you were separated or divorced, if your spouse passed away, or if you were a service member—that may make you eligible for the exclusion.

A tax advisor can help you navigate the rules and determine if you qualify for the federal tax exclusion on the sale of your home.

image_pdfPrint page as PDF